Saturday, April 2, 2011
Food in Ethiopia
Best bananas I've ever had. Sweet but not mushy. Makes sense as the bananas we get are picked before they are ripe and ripen on the way to America. Wish I'd eaten more of them. Juice drinks are very thick and not sweet. I liked the taste, but not everyone did. Soda is made with sugar, not corn syrup. Diet Coke is Coke Light, and is not found everywhere. Given the need to drink bottled drinks, I drank more soda in that week than I usually do in a year. Sprite is MUCH better than 7-Up over there. Need to do a corn-syrup version over here to see what I think. Bottled water at restaurants usually comes in small, medium, and large. Eggs are not very yellow and on a fried egg we usually couldn't identify a yolk. The yolks are apparently often small or whitish. Hearing that made me realize it is a result of whatever the chickens eat, and that was not a good thought. There aren't many restaurants that offer take-out. Drive-thrus don't exist. The coffee has a unique flavor. Since I only drink decaf, which they don't have, I couldn't drink enough to really acquire the taste. Shurro is a sauce there for meat and vegetables. I like the flavor. Injera comes in light and dark. I couldn't tell a difference in the taste between the two. It is made from a grain called teff. It provides fiber, iron, protein, and calcium. I describe injera as a tortilla-shaped bread of a spongy consistency with a sour taste like sourdough bread. Injera is used to scoop up food so utensils are not required. Feeding food to another person is a sign of friendship and acceptance. Cooking is an interesting process. People have a two-burner "stove" but that only works if you have power! There are things call injera-cookers for cooking injera. We had popcorn a lot. Cheap and easy. The government price controls some food items. Good for the masses, but I wonder how the producers can continue to produce the food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment